Thursday, June 2, 2016

Little Things in Life

As a child, I read inspiring stories of missionaries, people who were brave, and people who were remembered. I liked those stories. I always wanted to do something big, something that would be remembered, or written in books for future generations to read. I used to think you had to do something big to be important, but you don't.

Each and everyone in God's family plays an important role. I needed to stop waiting for the big amazing thing I hoped to do later in life and start doing the little things that are important, too. Things like helping a stranger, encouraging a friend, praying with the hurting, and loving the friendless. Maybe those things aren't going to be remembered years afterwards like the stories of brave missionaries, but they are important.

As I embraced this mentality, I think this is why I liked the idea of being an elementary teacher. Teachers can play important roles in children's lives. They help the child build a foundation on which to grow and learn. They teach and nurture individuals that will be our future leaders. It's a big job, but it takes the little things to get there. Things like helping students succeed, encouraging struggling students, and praying for and with students. These small actions may not be recognized by the public or make the front page of the paper, but they are shaping the lives of children, and that's big.







No comments:

Post a Comment